Based in the VHC Community Practice Section, our shelter medicine faculty members and technician provide exceptional care to shelter animals in need and excellent learning opportunities for veterinary students.
Shelter animals throughout mid-Missouri benefit every day from the medical services we provide at our dedicated surgical facility south of Columbia, on the road with our mobile shelter medicine unit, and on-site at our partner animal shelters.
We are proud that every veterinary student completes a rotation in shelter medicine before graduation.
How We Help
Our faculty and students:
- Provide preventive medicine services to mid-Missouri animal shelters
- Teach veterinary students, veterinarians and shelter staff how to use the most current practices to give every shelter animal the best future possible
- Spay and neuter more than 130 shelter animals every month
- Keep shelter animals healthy by providing vaccination, deworming and health exams
- Save lives by preventing disease outbreaks
Meagan Brophy Rau, DVM
Adjunct Clinical Instructor
Amie Burling, DVM, DACVPM, DABVP (Shelter Medicine Practice)
Assistant Teaching Professor of Shelter Medicine
Board-Certified Specialist in Veterinary Preventive Medicine and in Shelter Medicine Practice
Sandy Briesacher, DVM