Our team is always ready to help with emergency gastrointestinal problems such as abdominal pain (colic) and severe diarrhea (colitis). Our facilities are equipped to deal with all aspects of gastrointestinal disease, including an isolation ward for horses suspected of having a contagious disease such as salmonella or the surgical suites needed to operate on horses with severe colic.
We handle hundreds of adult horses and foals every year with some form of gastrointestinal disease. Sometimes these horses are in critical condition and need emergency care, and at other times the situation is less urgent and requires a more investigative approach.
Highlights of Service:
- Equipment, staff and laboratory support to provide emergency and critical care 365 days a year for gastrointestinal emergencies
- Intravenous fluid therapy and 24-hour monitoring
- State-of-the-art digital abdominal ultrasound, gastroduodenal endoscopy and abdominal radiography
- Isolation facilities for contagious disease
- State-of-the-art surgical facilities
- Board-certified surgeons and anesthesiologists available at all times to provide emergency surgical care for colic