Every pet is unique. We customize every nutrition consultation to ensure the recommendations are individualized for the pet. The process includes review of received pertinent medical records, detailed diet history and scientific literature. When indicated, we utilize specialized nutrition formulation software to create complete and balanced homemade diets. Our consultation service will analyze the pet’s current diet and give detailed information as to the nutritional management of the pet’s situation. This procedure certifies a complete nutritional plan tailored to the pet.
Once a pet has been seen by a veterinarian at MU Veterinary Health Center, the MU veterinarian can request a nutrition consultation on the pet and owner’s behalf. A base fee is charged for all consultations, but additional costs can apply depending on the request (i.e. feeding tube, home cooked diet, etc.).
How to request a nutrition consultation:
- Only pets who have been medically evaluated or treated by a primary service at MU VHC in the last 6 months are able to have a MU VHC Nutrition Consultation. No external consultations will be accepted at this time.
- Owners with pets that fit this criterion request a Nutrition Consultation through their MU VHC veterinarian.
- Owners then pay a non-refundable deposit that covers all nutrition and medical history evaluation followed by a 30-min Zoom or phone call with Nutrition.
- The plan and additional charges will be discussed with the owner before moving on to completing the consultation (i.e. multiple homecooked diets, feeding tube, etc.). The completed consultation is provided to the owner, MU VHC, and the primary care veterinarian.
- After the consultation, follow-up care is provided through Nutrition, but length varies depending on the type of consultation requested.
- Please note that consultations may take up to 5-6 weeks to complete depending on various factors (i.e. overall case load, number of hospitalized patients, speediness and completeness of owner response and return of nutrition history forms, etc.).